Five months ago I made a decision to give this whole food, plant-based nutrition thing a whirl. Well, I am still whirling away with it. I honestly thought it would leave me tired and depleted, especially after going through the more intense part of my training as I am a week away from Ironman Muskoka 70.3. Instead, I am feeling better than ever. My energy levels are high and my recovery time from workouts has decreased dramatically. I not as reliant on the caffeine in the morning, which I have been replacing with green tea. Anyway, my breakfast smoothie has been my breakfast mainstay for longer than I have started eating this way. So in order make it plant-worthy, I needed to make a few changes. So here they are…
Ingredients in order of addition…
- 70-80 gm of frozen banana – Sliced to fit and freezing is key to a thick frothy smoothie.
- 40 gm frozen organic blueberries
- 15-20 gms of Kale
- 1/4 of a Avocado(makes it so creamy and smooth..Yum!)
- 40 gm frozen organic raspberries
- 40 gm frozen strawberries
- 15-20 gm of Hemp protein powder(any vegetable protein will work though)
- 10 gm of Chia Seed
- 10gm flax seeds
- 4 oz of cold water
- 6 oz of Hemp/Almond Milk. Or better yet homemade almond milk.
- Optional. 17 gm of Almond butter
- Blend until all ingredients mixed and a frothy smoothie is produced. I used to use a Magic Bullet but I have finally gotten a VItamix so the measurements here are specific to fit in one of their blending containers.